Monday, October 16, 2017

Pierrot: The Hat (and Pom-Poms)

The finished Pierrot costume (without makeup)

Pierrot is done! I am very, very happy with it!
The above picture is the finished costume without the skeleton makeup (I'm saving that for Halloween.) 
Unfortunately, I might not be able to post a Halloween review, since I'm going to be missing the bulk of my city's trick-or-treating hours due to a course I'm taking, but I think I'll still wear the costume that night, so I might post a review of it anyway.

So, on to...

The Hat

I like making hats. This hat was very fun to make, as it only required a few steps, and only cost $6.85 for the materials.

Anyway, I started with a piece of leftover vinyl for the pattern, but a large sheet of paper or cardboard would do just as well. Here a sketch of the pattern I made:


The hat pattern.


I basically winged it when it comes to shape, I started out with the highest hight and widest width possible (the sheet of foam I got for the hat was the 12''x18'' kind, I think, which means that the brim is 18'' wide) and kept trimming the height down until I liked the length. The brim is too small for my head, so I am using pins to attach it to the wig, but if you can find wider foam that might be better.
Be sure that the top of the hat doesn't come to an exact point, but is 1 or 2 inches wide (this will make it so that the veil can go through the point of the hat.)*

After I figured out the pattern, I cut the foam to it, taped the seam up, then glued felt over it. I made a mistake in the method I used to cover the hat in felt— I rolled the hat onto it while gluing it in place, and so there was a tiny slice of the foam that wasn't covered, but I patched it up with some of the rest of the felt, and since it's in the back, the veil will cover it. Anyway, instead of being silly like me and rolling the hat on the felt in an imprecise manner, I would recommend cutting the felt to a slightly enlarged hat pattern and then attaching and trimming it.

Then the fun part! I glued three black pom-poms to the front of the hat and wrapped some of the bat-patterned tulle around the brim, then fed a strip of the tulle that I had knotted at the end through the hole in the point of the hat (the knot should be hidden inside the hat.)

I also sewed the larger pom-poms onto the shirt, which is a small edition, but really completes the look!

Well, that's all for today.

Happy Halloween!


*Edit Apr. 2018: I now realize that this way of making the hat was going extremely out of my way! To make an easy conical hat, just cut the foam into a circle, draw a radius of that circle, and cut along that, so that there is a split on one side of the circle. Then, overlap the two flaps on either side that the split has created, until it looks fairly conical. Glue the overlapped pieces in place, and then you're done! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and keep this blog family-friendly! And please don't spam! Thank you! :D